– Bio –
At Meta, I am an AI ethicist & UX researcher
Global ethics & UX research lead for Meta's Generative AI products, Responsible AI team (New York, since 2022)
Doctoral researcher in AI ethics at Meta AI, FAIR (Paris, 2019-2022)
At Mila (Quebec Artificial Intelligence Institute), I am a Post-doctoral researcher (Montréal, since 2023)
For the Activist Philosophies for Technology Ethics (APTE), I am the main instigator and Chair of the Organization committee. APTE is an annual International academic conference on the ethics of advanced technologies (Paris, since 2022)
Visiting research positions:
Mila's Algora Lab (2022)
Harvard University's Department of Philosophy (2022)
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology's Centre for Artificial Intelligence Research (2021)
Stanford University's Social Media Lab (2020)
Oxford University's Department of Politics & International Relations (2019)
Columbia University's Department of Philosophy (2017)
2022 – Ph.D at Ecole Normale Supérieure (Philosophy of technologies), CIFRE at Meta AI (FAIR)
2017 – M.Phil at Sorbonne University (Political philosophy & Ethics)
2017 – M.S at Sciences Po (Finance & Management)
2014 – B.Phil at Sorbonne University (Philosophy)
2014 – B.A at Sciences Po (Economics, Politics, Law)
HEC Paris (Jouy-en-Josas) "The new data-rich markets" (since 2020)
ESCP Europe (Berlin) "Artificial Intelligence Ethics" (since 2019)
Sciences Po (Paris) "Introduction to AI Ethics for journalists" (2020-2022)
1. Etienne H., Le Cens de l’Etat. Comprendre la crise du politique par la modernité fiscale, Paris, Les Belles Lettres, 2022.
[English: Money and the State. How does the modern philosophy of tax enlighten the crisis of the politics]
Contributions to collective books
1. Etienne H., ‘L’impôt européen au défi du consentement fiscal’, postface of Jean-François Boudet, Droit fiscal européen comparé, Bruxelles,
Bruylant, 2021. [English: The challenge of consenting to an European tax]
Peer-reviewed conference papers
1. Etienne H., ‘Computational philosophy’, AAAI/ACM conference on Artificial intelligence, Ethics and Society, August 2022 at Oxford.
2. Etienne H., 'Solving moral dilemmas with AI to address the social implications of the Covid-19 crisis', ICLR Workshop on Science and Engineering of Deep Learning, May 2021.
1. Etienne H. & Onur Ç., ‘Listen to what they say: Better understand and detect online misinformation with user feedback’, The Journal of Online Trust & Safety, 2023.
2. Etienne H. & Charton F., 'A mimetic approach to social influence on Instagram', ArXiv.
Autonomous vehicles ethics
3. Etienne H. & Cova F., ‘Autonomous vehicles: The more they think the less they want’, in review.
4. Etienne H. & Cova F., ‘Performative quantification: Design choices impact the lessons of empirical surveys about the ethics of autonomous vehicles’, Social Sciences Computer Review, 2023.
5. Etienne H., ‘A Practical role-based approach for autonomous vehicles moral dilemmas’, Big data & society 9(2) 2022.
6. Etienne H., 'The dark side of the ‘Moral Machine’ and the fallacy of computational ethical decision-making for autonomous vehicles', Law, Innovation and Technology 12(2) 2021.
7. Etienne H., 'When AI Ethics goes Astray: A case study of Autonomous Vehicles', Social Sciences Computer Review 40(1) 2020.
AI ethics (various)
8. Etienne H., ‘Solving moral dilemmas with AI: how it helps us address the social implications of the Covid-19 crisis and enhance human responsibility to tackle meta-dilemmas’, Law, Innovation and Technology 14(2) 2022: 305-324.
9. Fung P. & Etienne H., 'Confucius, Cyberpunk and Mr. Science: Comparing AI ethics between China and the EU', AI and Ethics (2022).
10. Etienne H. & Munoz M., 'Building an ethical competitive advantage in times of growing complexity', The European Business Review (2021).
11. Etienne H., 'The future of online trust (and why Deepfake is advancing it)’, AI and Ethics 1(4) 2021.
Political philosophy & Tax theory
12. Etienne H., ‘L’impôt européen au défi du consentement fiscal’, Revue générale de droit (2021).
13. Etienne H., 'Of the hidden cost of political liberty: Advocacy for a philosophy of renouncement', Implications Philosophiques (2018).
14. Etienne H., Penser la fiscalité volontaire après Sloterdijk', Le Portique 41 (2018).
15. Etienne H., 'Le changement de paradigme fiscal : de la doctrine du libre consentement au prélèvement rationalisé', Implications Philosophiques (2018).
Selected conferences & talks
Unlocking the Potential of AI to Build Inclusive Digital Economies
05-30-2023 at King Abdullah Financial District's leadership conference, Riyadh
Fighting online misinformation with AI
03-16-2023 at Entretiens de Royaumont, General French consulate at New York
AI ethics and globalisation
02-06-2023 at LEAP, Riyadh
The future of misinformation management is user-centred
01-26-2023 at LinkedIn headquarter, Sunnyvale
Performative quantification: How to build moral judgements when collecting replies?
04-20-2022 at Mila, Montréal
What Facebook and Instagram Users Tell Us About Misinformation?
04-05-2022 at Stanford Cyber Policy Center, Stanford
From AI to AGI: what and where are the limits?
02-03-2022 at LEAP, Riyadh
Building and ethical competitive advantage for data-driven industries
02-01-2022 at LEAP, Riyadh
Building trust in a post-truth era
09-11-2021 at Tech Week Humber, Humber
AI Ethics: from 0 to 1
06-10-2021 at BNP Paribas data week, Paris
Placing Ethics, Trust, Transparency & Explainability At The Heart Of Your AI Strategy
04-21-2021 at AI Summit 2021, London
AI ethics and the challenge of regulating misinformation
03-15-2021 at The European University Institute, School of Transnational Governance, Florence
The right way to address the ethical dilemmas deriving from autonomous vehicles
11-26-2020 at The 42nd annual McMaster World Congress, Hamilton
Keeping control of AI: who should be in charge?
10-29-2020 at The World Summit AI, Amsterdam
Is it time to take ethical AI seriously?
09-22-2020 at Khaleej Times Artelligence, Dubai
What is AI ethics and what could it be?
09-22-2020 at Khaleej Times Artelligence, Dubai
Using AI to address the ethical dimensions of the covid-19 crisis
09-15-2020 at ICT Spring, Luxembourg
Construire la confiance à l’ère de Deepfake et de la post-vérité
09-15-2020 at IA Paris, Paris
The world after Deepfake: building trust in a post-truth era
09-03-2020 at The London AI Summit, London
Que peut l'IA face au covid-19 ?
07-27-2020 at France-IA, virtual
AI applications and digital ethics
06-08-2020 at The AI Governance Forum, Lausanne
Facebook’s responsible research in AI
10-01-2019 at Station F, Paris
When AI Ethics Goes Astray: the Case of Autonomous Vehicles
11-01-2019 at Oxford University, Oxford
Towards an exigent ethics for the development of AI
06-06-2019 for The SNCF Group, Paris
The dangers of wrong ethical approach of AI: the case study of autonomous vehicles
03-13-2019 for SNCF Réseau, Paris
Social and ethical issues behind Artificial Intelligence
10-15-2018 at Dauphine University PSL, Paris
Introduction to the Ethics of Artificial Intelligence
10-08-2018 at HEC Paris, Jouy-en-Josas